Monday, May 20, 2013

Physical Therapy

So today was the day I went for a consultation for Physical Therapy.  I needed to go for two reasons, one being my knee, and the other being my back.  I actually just finished paying off the medical bill for my knee, but that’s another story in itself.

To start off my knee was injured back in 2011.  I believe it’s due to the fact that I was born pigeon toed and I always had bad knees.  Well unfortunately I was at job #1 and I was working in retail, I picked up a box of shipment and when I turned I immediately felt a sharp pain and dropped the box.  It hurt and I started to limp but I thought its ok I probably just popped it out again.  I went to job #2 that night and after about 2 hours of standing I had to sit down.  My knee had felt as if it had exploded or something.  When I sat down I put my knee up and one of my co-workers immediately brought me a bag of ice, I had no idea why until I looked at my knee.  It was swollen up to double its size.

That is when I started to worry.  I obviously went home after I saw that and the problem was it was my left knee and I drove a manual at the time so I needed my left foot for the clutch.  Thankfully I didn’t have that far of a drive but it did make it worse.

The next morning I woke up and called the doctor immediately.  When I saw her, she told me that it looks like I tore my meniscus, not severely but enough to cause the rest of the cartilage in my knee to inflame.  She sent me for an x-ray because insurance companies need to see an x-ray first that I ended up paying the full amount for and never even got the results because they got “lost.”  Well sine I already hate dealing with doctors and offices I decided the anti-inflammatory medication would be fine and I would just deal with the pain.  Well it’s 2013 and I’m still in pain.  My knee gives out all the time, it gets swollen, and hurts a lot.  

Well not only did this happen but a year ago as soon as I got my new car I got into a car accident.  The police officer said it was technically my fault even though you could clearly tell I swerved to avoid the woman.  I live around very windy roads that have blind spots everywhere.  I was coming around a turn and boom there was a lady stopped right in the road for no reason, I swerved to avoid her but just clipped her passenger rear while completely totaling the whole driver’s side of my car.  The door wouldn’t open, the hood was destroyed and everything was damaged.  Needless to say thanks to this my seatbelt never locked and the steering wheel ended up catching me.  When this happened I jerked my back and got whiplash.  The doctor said I was going to definitely need physical therapy for my back.

Easy for doctors to say I need physical therapy.  I haven’t gotten it because of my terrible insurance.  I was actually terrified that they wouldn’t even cover my visit to my neurologist and the EEG back during the winter.  Now that I have good insurance I’ve decided to at least try physical therapy.  We will see how it goes and hopefully I’ll be able to live a little more comfortably soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment