Sunday, May 19, 2013

Cystic Fibrosis

I know a few posts ago I uploaded a link for my one friend who has cystic fibrosis.  I actually know him through my other friend who I've known for the past 10 years and she also has cystic fibrosis.  I saw her yesterday to catch up and I asked her about her CF and how she's been health wise.  The doctors gave her a life expectancy of 35 which is the average.  Her boyfriend who also met up with us didn't like this conversation for obvious reasons but it's actually thanks to him that for the past few years her lung capacity has been over 50% unlike a few years ago when she was in the hospital with a capacity of 35%.  Also, just to put this in perspective, the capacity of a healthy human being is 130%.

I just wanted to share about her because I think about what she has to go through and how she only has about 12 years left (which maybe by then medication will be able to help her more) and how amazing her attitude is.  She has such a positive attitude and acts as if she doesn't eve have CF.  Her boyfriend helps her she tried to go to college but couldn't finish because she got so sick that she was in the hospital for a while.  She can only work part time because she can't over exhaust herself.  Her boyfriend has to give her therapy and hit her back in a few different spots to help her break up the mucus so she can cough it up along with making her take all of her treatments and medications. 

She is such an inspiration to me and I can't believe that the 12 year old girl I met so many years ago has turned into such a fine woman even with cystic fibrosis.  She is such an amazing person and I wish everyone could meet her.  I hope everyone can take something out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment