Wednesday, May 15, 2013

New Zealand

I was doing a little bit of browsing on the internet today and came across something interesting.  Three American celebrities were part of an Epilepsy Awareness campaign in New Zealand.  I think this is amazing!  Regardless of it it’s here in the states or overseas somewhere it’s still raising awareness for the same cause that affects all of us in different countries.  Hugh Laurie (Dr. House), Jack Black and Harrison Ford were the three who participated.  

Epilepsy New Zealand has asked for everyone to just talk about Epilepsy and Epilepsy Awareness annually in November.  This is extremely important because it’s showing people who don’t have it what we have to go through.  I feel like a lot of people judge me when I say I have epilepsy.  The first question I always get is “you’re not going to have a seizure now right?”  I know that for an “outsider” this would be a common thing to ask because so many people are afraid or think we are a danger to not only ourselves but society as well.  I can see where people raise this concern but at the same time a pedestrian can be crossing the street and get run over and they can be the healthiest person.  

Technically we are categorized as disabled human beings but I don’t feel as though I am.  Someone once asked me a long time ago “why don’t you collect disability?”  Since I don’t feel disabled, I don’t think that way, plus that would go completely against my morals because I would be taking away money from people who really are disabled, some people are disabled from epilepsy or who aren’t as lucky as I am to live a somewhat normal life, how can someone even think that since it’s free money I should just take it?  It may be “free money” but other people need it more than I do.  Sure there are bills I can’t pay due to my epilepsy or that I have to pay so much for my medication because I CAN’T take generic but I can’t complain.

I can still drive, work, go out, go shopping, eat what I want, and just function in general.  I am one of the lucky ones to have epilepsy and not have it be as bad as some of the cases I read about.  Don’t get me wrong getting to this mentality was definitely NOT easy, a lot of blood sweat and tears went into accepting that this happened to me.  As I have posted in the past, it could be worse and if for some reason my condition gets worse ok I’ll tackle that problem when it comes but for now I can still function, so I don’t have it that bad.

The only thing I worry about is being judging me or bullying me for it.  I’m already an adult but sometimes I worry.  What if my work finds out?  Will they try to find a way to fire me so I don’t become a danger to the office?  Or will they fire me so I don’t use lots of money for health insurance?  What about people my age, will they look at me differently?  Will they stop being my friend if they find out something is wrong with me?  Should I tell certain people I am with frequently so they know what to do if I have an episode?

Those are the questions that are constantly going through my head and I am still battling with the correct answers, but for now I’m just going with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment