Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Was it a seizure or did I just pass out?

I wanted to share another story with all of you that are reading this.  By the way if anyone has a story or experience feel free to talk about it only if you're comfortable, I always like to meet and talk to people that are in a similar situation.  Well anyway, I wanted to talk about something that happened a little bit before New Years of this year. 

A few months ago before I landed my "big girl job" I had been working two jobs to pay off all of my student loans and other bills that you unfortunately  have as a grown up.  Since I graduated with my MBA I've been working very hard and of course stressing out A LOT.  Well for about three months I was working literally 7 days a week and 5 of those days I worked from 8:30 in the morning to about 9/10 at night.  For those of you who have epilepsy you understand how crucial it is to get enough hours of sleep and take care of yourself.  Well I pushed myself a little too hard and back in December I passed out, in the bathtub, with the water running.

Well as if it wasn't traumatizing enough for my parents because we all thought I had another seizure we had guests over our house.  When I moved to Texas (which is another post I will talk about because I was on my own) I decided to bring back a puggle who was a rescue and you can tell she has seen a lot in her lifetime.  She is like my shadow and she follows me everywhere EVEN into the bathroom when I take showers or baths.  She had started barking to get my parents attention to come upstairs.  My dad had to break down the door and both parents found me in the tub just laying there.  I remember a little bit of it I remember feeling like I was falling asleep.  Thankfully my parents decided to stick to the "dinky tub" with the special grips on the bottom instead of the jacuzzi they originally wanted because who knows what would have happened.  It was bad enough that the water was running with the tub clogged so I could have easily drowned.

We decided to call my doctor as a precaution because it didn't feel like a seizure, it felt as though I passed out but it could've been a change to my epilepsy or a reaction to my medication.  The doctor asked me to come in and asked to do blood work and a take home EEG.  He said that from the sounds of it, it didn't sound like I had a seizure it sounded like my body reacted the way a normal human being would when it is overly tired and I just fainted.  Whether this is exactly what it was no one will ever know because no one witnessed it and I didn't have an EEG to prove anything.  Well needless to say I was afraid that I was either going to have to increase my dosage or switch to another medication since it has been 8 years with the same dosage and medication. 

The EEG and blood work came back pretty normal.  The blood work showed that my levels of medication seemed low and that could raise a little concern that my body is almost becoming immune to the drug.  The EEG showed that the spikes in my brain were the same as they were a few years ago and that I still have the same diagnosis.  The doctor said again that from the sounds of it I fainted but he can't force me to increase my dosage because we don't have any proof saying this was a seizure so he said at this point it was up to me.  I could chose between staying at the same dosage and taking precautions like quitting my second job, not taking baths (at least if I'm not supervised), and taking better care of my health, OR I could increase my dosage or completely switch medications.  I chose the first option since I still live at home (yes I live at home at 25), someone is almost always home and I have my dog who watches my every move.  My dog actually stands over the bathtub and watches me now to make sure I'm awake.  It's a little strange but I know she will alert whoever is home that I'm not ok. 

Pretty much I learned that even after being seizure free since 2009, my condition is still there, I still have epilepsy, I still have to take medicine, and I'm not cured.  I have accepted the fact that I will most likely be on medication for the rest of my life and I have come to terms with this.  Every time something happens it may not be a seizure like this time, but it showed me that I have to take care of myself regardless.  I started sleeping more, eating better, and exercising to stay healthy.  I quit smoking not just to be more healthy but because it was my friends last wish from me when he passed away from cancer.  Everything in this life happens for a reason, people are put on this earth for a reason to impact your life.  I hope that I can reach out to at least one other person and help them get through it and cope with this condition or help a family or a parent.

If anyone ever has any questions or comments please don't hesitate to ask or speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment