Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pre-existing conditions and medication; what a topic.

Well I think the title of this post pretty much speaks for itself.  Today during my lunch at work I tried to accomplish finishing what I started yesterday.  It has to do with switching my health benefits from my dad's insurance to my own.  Although I know I will never be a normal healthy human being, sometimes I wish I could be, at least for a day.

While I was working on all of this I started to stress out a little bit about my medication situation.  In the past I have had so many issues and on top of it the pharmacy gave me a generic without consulting the doctor first and I had a seizure, so I ask myself will this happen again?

First step to all of this is honestly be extremely organized, I can't stress that enough.  Thankfully I've dealt with this a few times so I know the procedures. 

Secondly, I contacted my previous provider and asked for the pre-existing condition certificate to be sent as soon as possible.  I believe (but don't quote me on this), that by law in the USA, (since I know not all my readers are from the US) you have to have that certificate in order for your employer to be able to cover this condition, as much as their policy allows.

The third thing I did was contact the pharmacy/mail service.  Most of the time you'll get a discount if you order it through the mail just keep on top of it to get your medication in time.  I asked them if they require a certificate or letter stating that I can not take the generic only the brand name because I had to do this with the last provider.  This time around they told me no because on the prescription they can specify this request.  Then the doctor can send in the prescription and everything will be ok.  Well I made sure I wrote down every phone number, fax number, and system that the doctor can send this in to.

Then, the fourth thing I did was called my doctor.  Unfortunately this week he is not there so I will have to wait until next week for him to get all of this taken care of.  Thankfully as long as I have a valid prescription at the pharmacy I can pick it up there.  The unfortunate part is I'll have to pay $250.

Although $250 is not that bad compared to past experiences.  A few years back there had been some mix up with the insurance company and they didn't put in the file that I was still a student living at home and I found out that apparently I was not covered by my dad's insurance for a little while.  Well the way I found out was when I went to the pharmacy to pick up my medication and they told me it was going to cost the full price which at the time was $400.  For one bottle, that will last me a month.  Eventually everything got straightened out in time before I ran out of medicine.  Thank goodness that I actually call in my refill way before I run out, and don't wait until last minute. 

Pretty much the point of this post isn't to scare anyone.  I can't stress enough that being organized is key.  When it comes to my condition and medication and all that jazz I write everything down, even if I have to make a schedule to remind myself.  Also check your bottles when you get them and make sure it's your medication not the generic, that was my mistake a few years ago.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions, recommendations, or have any stories?

Since I'll be traveling next week wear purple on March 26th!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey there! Just wanted to say I'm enjoying your blog so far and to ask you to keep it up!

    Guess I throw a little bit of my story or something. I'm 21, currently a "senior," (I will have to go for a fifth year) in college. Anyways, I had a grand mal seizure on Labor Day, 2010. First seizure ever, and boy was it quite the experience. I was playing guitar, electric, fell and started seizing. Of course, I'm just relating all this from the experience of my pops and sister. They heard a loud bang from the guitar hitting the wall and then distortion just ringing out through the amp. I was taken to the hospital, I remember the EMT asking me what school I went to, and I just could not remember ANYTHING! He goes, "What's today?" I was like, "I have no idea. But even if I didn't have a seizure, I probably wouldn't know anyway." So then, taken to the hospital and run through the reg: EEG, CT, and all that other stuff. Nothing came up. Went to the neurologist, and he said something like 1 in 12 people have a random, unprovoked, unexplained seizure in their lifetime. So there I was, thinking that.

    Went two years without anymore grand mals, however I was having these jerks, just insane twitches, especially while writing during class and stuff. I honestly thought everyone had those. Well then, this past December, had another grand mal, taken to the hospital again, and put on 1000mg of Keppra, but again, nothing came up on any of the scans. Well, two months pass, the jerks slowed down a lot. But then I had another grand mal seizure a couple weeks ago. Upped the dosage to 1500mg.

    It's been kind of rough on that. I'm either insanely tired, or people are just pissing me off on things that really shouldn't even bother me.

    Anyways. Just wanted to share a little bit and say I'm feeling you on all this, trying to accommodate for this weird thing where you make weird noises, jerk around for a bit, freak people out and bite your tongue real bad.

    I hope you keep writing! I'm enjoying reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so great to hear from someone!!! Where are you a senior at? Keep it up and don't let this condition take over your life, just be aware of it. The whole purpose of my blog is to reach out to at least one person. We are like any other person except our brain does funny things every once in a while.

      Of course be careful and what not but never give up. When I was first diagnosed I was really depressed and honestly felt like my world had stopped. I actually almost didn't start my first semester because I was that distant from the world. I decided I didn't want it to stop me because if I wanted to be normal I had to be strong and pick myself up.

      They said it's hereditary but no one in my family has had any type of neurological problems except for migraines so I guess we have to dig deeper than 6 generations.

      Have they diagnosed you with anything? I guess for me they instantly found intense spikes in my EEG and I went in for monitoring where they actually tried to force me to have a seizure so they could see what triggers and nothing happened until I got home and I had a seizure in my moms arms.

      Of course I will keep it up! Thanks for the feedback and for sharing your story.

      Delete
  2. Yeah! I'm a senior at Texas Tech. I haven't let it been getting me down, at least not so far. I'm a pretty laid back dude. However, something in your first post did make me think a little differently. You saying "I don't even want to know what went through my parents minds when they were in that room with me." I hadn't really thought about that. I've been making jokes about epilepsy and seizures, mainly because I guess that's how I'm trying to cope, but my mom isn't having it. So the way you put it makes me think a bit differently.

    I'm feeling you. Personally, for me, I don't think "rough," is the right word. As I said, I'm a pretty easy going guy, it's hard to make me upset, angry, sad, or anything, I'm more or less indifferent. But going through this, I can see how everyone reacts differently. Whether upset, or angry with themselves/someone/whoever, or anything. And you're definitely right, gotta just keep trucking. Keep awareness, but don't let it push you around.

    Same with me! No family history of anything.

    I'm not sure whether they've "diagnosed," it. I guess just epilepsy. No spikes or anything on the EEG or anything for me. Just grand mal seizures and jerks.

    No problem! I'm definitely enjoying reading, and it's really cool to talk to someone else who has the same problems. You know, Julius Caesar had epilepsy. Obviously, we epileptics are going to rule the United States with an iron fist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know he had epilepsy! Thanks for the fact of the day.

    Keep a positive and relaxed attitude, that's actually what today's post is going to be about. I have so many things to say about it so I hope you keep reading thank you for the support!

    By the way I know you've already commented on this but one of these days I'm going to talk to my parents and I guess kind of write an interview with them in here so if your mom is tech savy let her read it, it might help her cope a little. Mom's turn into mama bears protecting their cubs in these situations so she's just trying to protect you any way she can.

    By the way, I used to live in Texas, I'm traveling their next week. I miss my sweet tea. Small world!

    ReplyDelete