Friday, April 19, 2013

Yoga and how it can help

Ever think that maybe if our brains are out of whack we should just take a deep breath and relax?  That is why I started yoga.  I used to do ballerina as a child and it helped with another health condition that I have; asthma.  The doctor told my parents that if I can work on my posture and I get regular exercise it would open up my lungs and it’s something I can enjoy.  Well needless to say I became a ballerina up until sophomore year of high school and I even did pointe the last few years I danced.  The doctor was right, it did help my asthma calm down.  I went from having to use the nebulizer twice a day and have my inhaler ready every time I went to gym class, went out to recess, or if there was too much dust in the air, to only having sports induced asthma that is not as serious as it was back when I was 6 years old.  Now when I go running I just have to take one puff before I run and I’m fine. 
With all of that being said, my neurologist had mentioned that maybe instead of constantly being worried that I was going to have a seizure maybe I should just calm down and relax, start with meditation.  I didn’t listen up until I accidentally had to take a yoga class.  I needed an elective in college and decided I’d take the yoga class.  It changed my whole perspective and the doctor was right.  It was my hour of me time where I was in a bubble and nothing else mattered.  The meditation the instructor taught us actually helps me go to sleep nowadays if I can’t because I have too much on my mind.  I kept up with doing yoga at home whenever I could and I actually ended up taking the class again two semesters later.  Again I tried to keep up with it after but I didn’t start up again until I found out my job offers it to us.  I love yoga and everything about it because it’s where I can free my mind and just let go of everything in the world.  When I’m in that class nothing exists, my problems don’t exist, and most importantly my epilepsy magically disappears for an hour.
I started to read up on yoga and where it originated.  From my findings it started in India and they found a relic that has an engraving of a position that is commonly used in yoga, the typical position where you sit and say uuummmm.  Then it moved on to the Buddhists.  I like that we have adapted yoga into all different cultures and I will say I’m glad they invented it to begin with because it helps a lot.


P.S. PLEASE KEEP MY BROTHER AND OTHERS IN BOSTON IN YOUR PRAYERS, AND THE PEOPLE IMPACTED BY THIS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment