Monday, April 22, 2013

Having a peace of mind

Please forgive me for lately not talking about my epilepsy.  I just want to talk about how other things in life have helped me out.  In my opinion my epilepsy medication can only do so much.  It will help control my seizures/episodes/twitches/jerks, but does it help my peace of mind or me in general?  I mean maybe anti depressants can help but the way I see it I don’t want to be taking more medication than I already am.  That’s why I do yoga as I posted in a previous post.  It’s also a reason why I still go out and have fun with friends even though I’m limited to how long I can stay out and how much sleep I have to get. 

When I moved to Texas I bought my dog Lilly Savannah, Lilly for short, as I’ve mentioned before.  Not only did she save my life more than once but she saved my peace of mind.  When I was in Texas I was homesick but I was also afraid of being an epileptic living on my own in an area where I don’t know anyone and no one knows me, so what would happen if I had a seizure?  I rescued Lilly because we just had a connection (I know really corny) when I saw her at the shelter.  She was one of the last kennels and I originally wanted nothing to do with a female dog because I’ve only ever had male dogs and I heard how protective females were and I wasn’t sure if a protective female rescue dog was a good idea.

Needless to say when I saw her I fell for those puppy eyes and I brought her home.  She had a million ticks crawling all over her so I removed 8 ticks and took her to the vet the very next day for a checkup.  I wanted to make sure the animal I just fell in love with was going to be ok for a while.  Having Lilly those first few weeks and going back and forth to the shelter and vet and the town to get her license kept my mind off of a lot.  I felt like I had a furry child.  She helped me stay awake for the whole ride back home once I decided to move back.

Ever since I got that little puggle (pug/beagle mix) my life has changed.  I’m more responsible and I enjoy life more.  When I come home from work and I see her all excited it makes my day so much brighter.  I want to train her to be one of those dogs that helps epileptics because they say they can sense when you’re about to have an episode.  I haven’t had one with her yet but I did pass out in the bathtub with the water running and she was there and got help for me so I already trust her enough with my life.  She also saved me from someone trying to break into my apartment so I think she’s a pretty trustworthy dog.

My dog changed my life and has brought so much joy to it.  She literally walked into my life at the right time.  I always say timing is everything and in this case it definitely was good timing.  I’m not saying that everyone should go out and buy a dog or adopt a rescue but find something that truly makes you happy.  Some people sing, others paint and that makes their day that much better.  Some people even shop or work out to make them happy.  It’s all up to the person.  Always make sure that whatever you are trying will not jeopardize your health in any way or cause you to seizure.  Try to smile at least once a day and maybe that’s all you need to stay happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment